Thursday, July 30, 2009

prank phone calls

yes, training finally caught up to me. i skipped my workout last night after being rather tired all day (and when i say tired, i mean really exhausted). i stayed at work a little later to work on my take-home final some more and finally got the answer to a problem i'd been spending a lot of time on (and the answer made sense). when i got home, i made myself some dinner and then spent the evening sitting around reading my book before going to bed at 9p. i actually slept all the way through the night except for one little hiccup.

at 4:15a my phone rings. i hear it and wake up, but don't go answer it. when i finally get out of bed (late) at 5:55a, i listen to the voicemail the person had left. the man said says he is calling from the doctor's office or hospital and that i am pregnant and that i need to come back into the hospital because i'm also hiv positive. he then goes on to add that i shouldn't worry because stuff like this happens all the time. the whole time i'm thinking, yeah...riiiight.

i haven't done anything that could make me pregnant or get hiv, and the guy was clearly not calling from a doctor's office because i'm pretty sure no medical professionals would leave voicemails of that nature unless they were trying to lose their jobs. so i'm pretty sure it was at the very least a wrong number. that said, can you imagine having just gone to get a pregnancy test and then receiving a prank call/voicemail like that shortly thereafter? i really don't know what i'd do.

the rest of my morning has been comparatively uneventful and very enjoyable. after listening to the voicemail i got in my car and drove down to barton springs to meet michelle for some aqua jogging. it took us about an hour to jog 0.5 miles. it turns out my trusty wetsuit allows me to be in that water longer than i ever have been without turning purple. michael, michelle's husband, who's going to be one of my pacers at the race next month, pointed out that my time in barton springs could be viewed as cold weather training. i agree, but i think i'll stick to the wetsuit for now. i still get cold, just not to the same extreme.

No comments: