Friday, September 21, 2007

Wars, etc

I'm sure some (or maybe most!) would disagree my thoughts today, but if you have opinions on this, I'd love to hear them. I went to a retirement ceremony today for someone sort of high up at work today. It was a very nice ceremony, but there were a couple things that bothered me. First, it started with a prayer. Now, I have nothing against religion. It fascinates me. However, this ceremony starting with a prayer bothered me because it was a very Christian prayer...and I work for the government. I think people should be free to choose whatever religion they want, but why should the government be promoting specific religions? I wonder if I was the only one there who this bothered (probably). I was relating my experience to one of my roommates (who is from France) and she told me that in France it's against the law to pray in public like that because it's basically a way of forcing your religion on other people. I'm not sure, but I think the French government may be onto something!

The other thing that bothered me was that they gave the wife of the guy who was retiring a certificate of honor (or something like that) for supporting her husband's career. It's sitting through things like this that make me realize that I am, in fact, a bit of a feminist. I feel like the act of giving that woman the certificate was like saying "thanks for giving up the things you wanted in life, being told to move every three years, having and taking care of the kids, and putting up with your 'partner' being gone for long periods of time" and that makes me want to scream "why did you do it?!" To which, I'm sure someone would say something mushy and I'd still be sitting here wondering why. It just rings with the idea that women should stay home with the kids. If you choose to, fine, but for some reason (maybe because it's the military) I think that this is not a choice for some women. And as an aside, if there was a woman retiring, do you think they would've given her husband a certificate of honor? I'd be surprised.


In other wars, check out this one about the good, the bad and the blue:
http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/tpa/409930561.html

1 comment:

Rory said...

You live in Texas. I mean really. Of all of the places to question religion and feminism, I don't think that Texas is the place where you are allowed to have thoughts like that. Just make your hair a little bigger and those jeans a little tighter.