Thursday, September 13, 2007

Shana tova veh metookah

(That means 'a happy and sweet new year' in Hebrew) Today is the start of Rosh Hashana (the Jewish New Year holiday) and Ramadan (the Muslim holy month). My house is surrounded by all of the UT religious groups' buildings. On the eight blocks touching the one my house is on, you can find: the Chabat house (next door), the Hillel building, the Mormons (Institute of Religion), the Islamic mosque, the Baptists, the International Society of Friends (Quakers), the Catholics, the Presbyterians, the Lutherans, the Scientologists, the Methodists and apparently some other small Christian sect (who own the house across the street). If I ever wanted to escape thinking about religion, this is not a good neighborhood in which to try! Hopefully I will pick up a few things in the next few years from all my neighbors. I have recently been introduced to kugel, which is a Jewish food that a friend informs me is usually not that tasty. My roommate seems to be a good cook though (or his mom gave him a really good recipe) as his was quite yummy (pineapple flavored!). Kugel is made around Rosh Hashana apparently.

And speaking of cooking, have you ever cooked for a house full of college students? I am cooking dinner for my house this coming Sunday and have to give the shoppers a list of ingredients. This requires me to request quantities such as 10 cups of mozzarella cheese, five boxes of pasta shells and "enough" lettuce for salad for 26 people. I have suddenly become very fond of simple recipes.

1 comment:

Rory said...

Haoli makahiki hou. Happy New Year in Hawaiian. Or the equivalent. I somehow don't think that the Hawaiians from long ago used to mark their coconut calendars for Dec. 31. However makahiki did symbolize the change from harvest time to the beginning of the agricultural season. Those of us that still pray to a fertility god can appreciate this.