Monday, July 26, 2010

29 years

yesterday was my 29th birthday. eric and i went out saturday night to try a new restaurant of my choosing to celebrate. i found a couple of raw and vegan restaurants that i wanted to try so we went to one of them...we went to the one that had not received the review saying that it was similar to cafe gratitude, my favorite restaurant located in berkeley, ca. i ordered a salad that sounded delicious but arrived at our table containing 3 of the original ingredients listed on the menu, one of which was spirulina. there are very few foods i have tried where a mere bite has made me want to put my fork down, but spirulina, it turns out, is one of them. our pee smelled like spirulina for hours afterward. all we could do was laugh. i am fortunate that eric is so willing to humor and try new places that are a bit too hippie for him.

on sunday, my actual birthday, i made dinner and we busted out my grandmother's china! i don't like seeing china not be used, so i'm going to start coming up with reasons to use it. for dessert, eric wanted to make mangoes with sticky rice, one of my favorites. we spent the rest of the evening playing scrabble, which eric gave me for my birthday. he said it was difficult to make sure i didn't just go out and by it myself because every time he mentions playing boggle i say it would be fun and then immediately comment about how we need to have scrabble in our game collection too.

headlands 50 miler went well last weekend (july 17). the course was tough and hilly. i felt undertrained going into it, but i think i did okay. i think where i went wrong however was thinking that it would be okay to ride my bike to work last week. i only live about 9 miles from work, so its not that far and the route i take is flat...however, when your legs are already trashed from running 50 miles of large hills, apparently it doesn't matter how flat it is. the end of last week found my quads cramping on and off if i sat in one position for too long. i've upped my banana consumption and it seems to have gone away. i went out for an easy 3 mile run this morning. my legs feel like lead, but at least i'm running a wee bit again. i think i will be staying off the bike for a few more days.

last week we also commenced a harry potter movie marathon. eric had never seen the movies or read the books and i decided that needed to change...although i didn't think it needed to warp into a marathon necessarily. we began wednesday night with year one. by saturday night we were through year four. we took sunday off (too much movie watching). we are planning to watch years five and six this week...then eric will be caught up so we can go to see the movie that's coming out in november (yes, november, this is why i mentioned not intending for the movie watching to be a marathon).

our wedding is one week from friday. lots of little things still to do but everything seems to be moving along nicely in general!

No comments: