Wednesday, May 21, 2008

west coast antics

i spent the last few days in the bay area visiting my parents. within hours of arriving i was on the beach in half moon bay. my parents had told me that it was in the 100s at their house recently, so i didn't bother packing jeans, or any long pants for that matter. what i forgot was that the temperature difference between their house and the ocean is on the order of 40 degrees F. oops. so it was a bit breezy at the beach, but my dad and i took off our shoes and braved it anyways. i'm hoping to change the face of the blog soon, so stay tuned. the next day, i went into berkeley and spent the morning with one of my good friends from college (and hawaii). we had breakfast at cafe gratitude (http://www.cafegratitude.com/). it is a favorite restaurant of mine and a very berkeley-an experience. another friend of ours was having a birthday at his aunt and uncle's place. i'd been there before, and knew that we could get there via trails in the hills above the university...so we went on an adventure. turns out our first trail was wrong, and despite be a very nice hike, we ended almost exactly where we started. eventually we found the right trail though and made it to the fiesta. after losing myself in conversation with new and old friends for several hours, i left to meet up with another friend from college for dinner. it was a great day for catching up with people. i love hearing what other people have been doing and where they are heading in the near future. yesterday, one of my brothers and his dog finn drove up from la too, so I was also able to see them.

this morning, my poster for the conference i will be attending was (uneventfully) printed. now i just have to pack. normally you'd only back the bag with stuff you are taking on a trip, but i also have to get my room packed as i won't really have time to do anything except texas 4000 stuff when i return. its amazing how much stuff you can accumulate in a relatively short period of time. i have friends babysitting my car and my other bikes for the summer, but then there's all the other stuff. last summer when i moved to texas, i fit everything into the trunk of my car, except for two of my bikes, which went in the back seat. i think my mom shipped me one or two other boxes, but otherwise, that was it...well, now i look around my room and wonder how that all fit into my trunk. maybe its like one of the bags in harry potter, which looks small on the outside, but basically bottomless on the inside. with all my spare time, or maybe i should just say the time i'm spending on planes, i have finally gotten further than 20 pages into the fourth harry potter book. i've read all the books in english, but last summer i started reading them in spanish. at that point i read #2 and #3, and while i've had #4 since last summer, i was too busy and/or reading other things to really get into it. so now, i'm diving into head first. the characters just arrived at the quidditch world championships.

happy reading!

No comments: