Saturday, August 30, 2008

much needed long weekend...

after only 3 days of school. sheesh! like i said, i got back and hit the ground running, but don't worry, i'm sleeping now. i slept until after 10a this morning, a new late for me. knowing that it was hot outside, i thought i was going to just go for a short run. ten miles later, i finally got back to my house. it felt good.

despite the fact that there's a lot going on in the present to occupy me, i've been getting more and more excited about the future. the folks at ironman just added a new race to their schedule...in austin, so i'll be racing ironman 70.3 austin at the longhorn triathlon festival in about five weeks. i'm not setting any time or place goals for myself. i just want to enjoy it. like i mentioned earlier, my running legs feel pretty good, and i'm excited to get back on my tri bike (hopefully it doesn't take too long for my muscles to adapt to the new geometry). a few days after the longhorn triathlon festival i take off for hawaii. i didn't realize it when i got my plane tickets, but kona is actually that weekend. i don't think i'm going to get to go see any of it though because my friend's wedding is the same day on oahu. after that i'm also signed up for the dallas marathon on 12/14. i have run a marathon that weekend for the last five years. this year will be my 6th anniversary of being able to run, and the first year that i don't have to take a final a day or two after the race. all of my finals will be the week before this year. woohoo!

i had a talk with my advisor the other day about where my research will be going in the next few years. we just got a brand new camera system and i'm the only one in the lab familiar with the new software. i'm therefore responsible for setting everything up in the next couple months. this is actually a good thing because i'm not the resident expert on how the system works. i'll be doing some research on tripping, but i really want to see if i can get my advisor to let me do some work with running. one of my labmates was looking at stability during the walk to run transition, but i'd like to take some of the techniques i'm currently using and just apply them to steady-state running. i need to do some background research first though to see what's been done.

No comments: